Gum Disease Treatment in Durham, NC
If you are experiencing bleeding gums, you should call 919-471-1502 to discuss gum disease treatment in Durham, NC.
Gum disease affects thousands of people across the nation and is the most common cause of tooth loss in adults. With the help of a dental professional, you can identify and treat gum disease before it becomes a long-lasting problem that requires intensive oral surgery.
Indications You Are in Need of Gum Disease Treatment in Durham, NC
Each stage of gum disease exhibits slightly different indications that help dentists diagnose periodontal issues. Early periodontal disease is also known as gingivitis, and the most common symptoms include:
- Increased oral sensitivity
- Red, swollen, or bleeding gums
If you don’t treat gingivitis quickly, it can progress into advanced periodontitis. The indicators for advanced gum disease include:
- Loose teeth
- Pain while biting or chewing
- Receding gum line
- Halitosis (foul-smelling breath)
Advanced periodontal disease can damage the soft tissue within your gums, which protects your teeth. When gum disease advances over time, it can affect the structural integrity of your teeth. The loss of structure means teeth can break or become infected more easily.
What Can You Expect During Periodontal Treatment?
If you’re experiencing the common symptoms of gum disease above, you may feel concerned about potential treatments. It is essential to take early action to stop gum disease in its tracks before your gums and teeth experience permanent damage. Gum disease treatment intensity will vary depending on the stage of gum disease you are experiencing.
Early periodontal treatment for gum disease can include:
- Professional dental cleaning and increased at-home dental hygiene (brushing and flossing regularly or integrating prescription-strength mouthwashes).
- Scaling and root planing procedures to remove plaque and tartar from the tooth surface below the gumline.
These in-depth oral cleaning procedures can reach nooks and crannies that a typical toothbrush cannot reach. The use of early gum disease treatments will help prevent permanent damage from forming in your gums and teeth.
If your gums are showing signs of advanced gum disease, the treatments become more surgical in nature. These gum disease treatment procedures can include:
- Tooth extractions (simple with local anesthetic or complex with complete sedation)
- Pocket surgery to remove infectious tissue and tighten the gum around the teeth
- Gum tissue grafts to replace protective tissues around the teeth
- Bone grafts to promote bone growth after removing infectious tissues
- Dental implants to replace irreparable natural teeth
The nature of your exact gum disease treatment will depend on the stage of gum disease your dentist identifies in your case. You will typically need a thorough dental examination and x-rays to determine the extent of your gum disease before moving forward with any dental treatment.
Searching For Periodontal Therapy in Durham, NC?
You can find reliable gum disease treatment in Durham, NC, with Diadem Family Dental. We offer an extensive range of dental services, including gum disease treatment procedures. Call our office at 919-471-1502 to schedule your dental examination today.